There are many rewards that come with anyone’s first job that go way beyond the paycheck. They build people skills, leadership experience, and confidence. It looks great on a resume. They will learn how to deal with more freedoms and money to spend at their leisure. Hard work builds characters. The list is endless. We have collected the best tips for your child to land his or her very first job, as well current job postings in the Tampa Bay area. Good luck!
- Practice makes perfect. Whether the position is a bagger at a grocery store or a movie theater attendant, encourage your child to treat the application process like a potential career. It may seem silly now, but there is an art to interviewing, negotiating, and more that cannot be learned over night.
- Always have a resume. It is alright for your child to have zero work experience; they have to start somewhere. Being honest but also showing you are ready to work hard will give a positive first impression no matter the white space on that paper. If your child doesn’t know how to write a resume, many examples exist online.
- Check all resources. His or her college should have a career services. If they are in high school, something similar may exist or a college admissions counselor may be able to give some input. Encourage your child to network with friends and families to find open positions that may not be posted to the public. Also, have them create a LinkedIn profile so they can view the job descriptions and requirements for their dream jobs.
6 Awesome Part-time Job Postings:
5) Store Associate, Tuesday Morning (18+)
6) Host, The Cheesecake Factory (18+)