No matter how long you’ve called Tampa Bay home, sometimes the heat of the day is just too much. Which means a trip to the park may be out of the question, but your kids still have a lot of energy to burn! Don’t sweat it.
Our team of parents here at Tampa Bay Parenting Magazine are sharing some of our favorite ways to play indoors in Tampa Bay:
- Explore a local museum. There are so many wonderful museums in the Tampa Bay area! For the little ones, Glazer Children’s Museum, Great Explorations and The Florida Aquarium are our top picks. The older kids will love MOSI, The Dali Museum and the the Tampa Bay History Center. Read: 7 Tampa Bay Museums Your Kids Will Love.
- Stay home and PLAY! There is nothing wrong with a little boredom. Let your kids put their imaginations…and put their toys to use! Read: What Play Teaches Kids
- Head to the movie theater. Sometimes you need a few hours to sit down and relax, so why not head to your local movie theater to catch a flick with the kids and you might even be able to snag a CHEAP deal on a ticket depending on the day and theater-you can see our line up of FREE and CHEAP Summer Movies in Tampa Bay here.
- Go through your closets and purge unwanted clothing, toys and more! Reduce the clutter and give back to families who need the toys and clothing your kids have outgrown! Get the kids involved.
- Bounce around! There are several indoor bounce places like Sky Zone which has locations across Tampa Bay. Playgrounds of Tampa in South Tampa which features indoor bounce houses and a toddler play area. Other top picks are Little Play Place in the Carrollwood area and Little Explorers in Palm Harbor.
- Brave the cold and go ice skating! This is a great time to lace up the ice skates and give indoor ice-skating a try at places like Westfield Countryside or TBSA in Clearwater–check out TampaBayIce.com for more on open skate times and even lessons. Advent Health Center Ice in Wesley Chapel also offers public skate times and lessons.
- Connect with the sea at The Florida Aquarium. Wander through the indoor exhibits and connect with nature. Make sure to pack a bathing suit and towel for the kids so they can cool off in the Splash Pad.
- Head to your neighborhood library and pick out some favorite books for an afternoon of reading. If you don’t have a library card yet, this is the perfect week to do it!
- Go shopping! If your kids can handle an afternoon of shopping, there are plenty of sales and deals! Head to the mall to shop, play and grab lunch. International Plaza is a family favorite with plenty of new restaurants to try.
- Go bowling or roller skating! There are places all across Tampa Bay to take the kids! It’s a great way to get some energy out and have fun as a family.
- Head to the arcade for some gaming fun. There are a couple of cool places to check out in the Tampa Bay Area that offer gaming and so much more. Some of our favorite spots to take the kids are PK’s Fun Zone in Tampa and Main Event in Wesley Chapel. GameTime in Ybor City is another top pick among parents–and you can even take the FREE TECO Street Car to get to Ybor after a visit to the Florida Aquarium or Tampa Bay History Center
We hope this list sparks a few ideas for you! Once you’ve cooled down INDOORS, why not check out some of these ‘cool’ ideas to explore the OUTDOORS in Tampa Bay: