After a long year of lockdowns, quarantines, online learning and reduced activities, our children need something to look forward to. It has been shown that children are likely to have worries, fears, anxieties and other signs of stress since schools are operating in different ways. Many children have had fewer opportunities to be with their peers—something that is vital for maintaining good mental well-being. Sending your child to summer camp offers that opportunity to be with friends and get that social support.
Additionally, some students have experienced a learning slide because of a lack of consistent instruction. While summer camps are not purely academic, it takes the hands-on and experiential learning experience to the next level, helping children keep skills sharp so that upon return to the classroom, they are ready to go.
Summer camps also represent normalcy and allow children to be children. While Admiral Farragut Academy’s summer camps follow COVID-19 safety protocols necessary to protect campers and staff, they also focus on fun, friends and experiences that campers will remember for a lifetime.
Here are some camps that Farragut will offer to the public this summer:
- Each week, campers explore various themes through fun, creative and educational activities as well as boat rides, pool time and water slides on Farragut’s 40-acre waterfront campus.
- This year’s weekly themes are Save the Planet, Super Heroes, Jurassic Park, Abra-cadabra Magic, Bug World, Gross Science, Rainforest Cafe, Treasure Hunters, Shark Week and Wacky Water.
- Camp is led by Farragut faculty and their staff of counselors, counselors-in-training (CIT), and junior counselors (JC).
- Camp is open to rising kindergarten through eleventh graders. Students sixth grade and above can gain experience as a JC or CIT.
- Basketball: Two-week camp for rising third through eighth graders, led by Farragut Varsity Basketball Coach Julian Allen.
- Volleyball: Two separate evening clinics for grade6-8 and 9-12 led by Farragut Varsity Volleyball Coach Kasey Reynolds.
Summer Signature Series (SSS)
- Boarding camp runs for five weeks and serves rising eighth through twelfth-grade students.
- The first four weeks of SSS will highlight and immerse the campers into one or two of Farragut’s signature programs including STEM, Leadership/Sailing, Marine Science/Scuba and Aviation. During the fifth week, campers will explore the wonderful things that Florida has to offer, including our many springs, historic sites and local attractions.
- Campers will also complete a weekly team challenge based on a real-life issue. They will work with fellow team members to discover solutions while also developing a sense of community and skills associated with teamwork.
Learn more at www.farragut.org/summer.
Admiral Farragut Academy is a K-12 private, college-prep, day and boarding school located in St. Petersburg, Florida.
Originally published in March 2021