When The Florida Aquarium officially opens its brand-new exhibit, “Heart of the Sea,” on Saturday, Oct. 6, it will be a totally new experience in a completely reimagined gallery. Come learn about the work done at The Florida Aquarium’s Center for Conservation. The exhibit will be the main attraction in the “Waves of Wonder Gallery” (formerly the “Ocean Commotion” gallery) that was recently given an entirely new look. Kids can see Aquarium team members care for a wide variety of aquatic animals, learn about how baby coral is being grown in the ocean nurseries, and so much more. Here are five really cool things for your family to experience in Heart of the Sea:
- Behind the scenes care– The new exhibit will include a corral at the top where animal care will happen. Two 70-inch monitors on the edges of the main viewing window give kids up-close views of their favorite sea animals experiencing feedings, enrichment activities and wellness checks in the corral and around the habitat.
- Swim with Sea Turtles and Sharks– Heart of the Sea offers a brand-new snorkel experience. Get ready to swim with a variety of sea animals including sea turtles, stingrays, goliath groupers, nurse sharks and bonnet head sharks. The snorkel experience is an additional cost to general admission Children and adults of all abilities ages 6 and older may participate.
- New Dive Show– Watch divers plunge into 100,000 gallons of water while performing a show centered on the Aquarium’s conservation efforts to save coral reefs. It’s an interactive experience where audience members are chosen to participate by picking different camera angles to see different parts of the exhibit.
- Coral trees– Heart of the Sea will have PVC coral trees with artificial coral hanging to show how The Florida Aquarium grows coral in the ocean nurseries. Coral reefs provide safe homes for sea life and protect our coastlines . The scientist s at The Florida Aquarium are growing coral at the Aquarium’s Center for Conservation to help save the future of coral reefs.
- Up-close views- A 5-camera system will be able to show views of the exhibit from many different angles. This is a great way for the kids to see the daily life of their favorite sea animals.
Come see why The Florida Aquarium is a top USA TODAY-ranked aquarium in North America; a Trip Advisor top 10 Aquarium in the country; and a Parents Magazine top 5 “Kid-Friendly” aquarium . The Florida Aquarium experience is designed to take you on a journey, starting with a drop of water from one of Florida’s many freshwater springs, all the way out to the open waters of the Florida Keys.