Great Scott hoverboards seem to be everywhere! These hot commodity items are fast, futuristic, and can stop on a dime. It seems as if hoverboards have become the new mode of transportation children prefer as opposed to bikes, scooters, and mopeds. With new technology though there are always set backs, and hazards that consumers and parents should be aware of.
Media reports from the US and in Europe have posted videos and articles on the dangerous aspects of smartboards including the nature of these products to explode. Even some airlines have banned hoverboards from being brought on board planes. Below is a video segment WFLA posted about the dangers of these hot ticket items.
What to look at when purchasing a board?
Tech experts suggest that you should not spend less than $300 as anything below the listed price range could run the risk of buying a dud. Avoid buying smartboards at a mall kiosk or a website that does not include information about who is selling the product along with how they can be contacted if there is a problem. Make sure there is a mark of a certified national testing laboratory to ensure that the board has been tested for safety.
How can you avoid overheating?
The Nation Association of State Fire Marshals said riders should give the device time to cool off before charging. Also it’s important to never leave a hoverboard unattended while it’s plugged in. In addition officials recommend that you shouldn’t overcharge or leave it charging overnight. If the board overheats while your child is using it make sure to tell them to get off of it and make sure you check with the manufacturer. Lastly make sure you store in an open dry area.
Warn your children to be cautious when using balancing boards. Explain to them how to be safe when riding one of these products. Mention the importance of wearing the same safety gear you would wear when riding a skateboard. As a parent it’s probably best to make sure you are in charge of charging the board as your children could easily forget about the board causing it to overheat.
If you or a family member have had a incident while using the board we urge you to send a report to CPSC the Consumer Product Safety Commission at http://www.saferproducts.gov/.