Just like ghosts and goblins Halloween has snuck up on us again. While the little ones are ramping up for their massive sugar intake and excitement to don their favorite costumes, as parents we want to keep them safe.
As each year approaches it seems we are faced with new challenges when it comes to safety. This presents old and new challenges for parents as we take precautionary steps for our little one’s safety without spoiling the fun for our trick or treaters.
Have no fear! Here is a list of safety tips to get you started on setting your parental mind at ease while we send out little Batmen, Ninja Turtles, princesses, and wizards out into the enchanted Halloween season.
- Reach out to your local law enforcement agencies (Hillsborough, Pasco, Pinellas) to see if there are any current threats to consider.
- Make sure your trick or treaters have their home address and contact phone number on their person.
- Establish a ‘code word’ that only you and your trick or treater know.
- Assemble a group to go trick or treating with: NEVER GO ALONE!
- Establish a route ahead of time to reduce the risk of getting off path.
- Trick or treat in familiar neighborhoods: DON’T RISK THE UNKNOWN.
- Always examine Halloween candy before your little ones indulge in the goodies.
- Never enter a stranger’s home or accept rides from strangers.
- Carry a flashlight so you are easily seen.
- ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings.
Although safety should be a priority you don’t have to let it get in the way of fun. By considering these precautionary steps in advance you will find that the anxiety that comes with sending our little ones out into the ghoulish evening will significantly be reduced.
In most cases the Halloween season is filled with fun and festivities, but it is always a good idea to have contact numbers for local resources in the event they are needed. Here are some helpful local resources.
Local Emergency Resources:
- American Association of Poison Control Centers
- Florida Hospital
- BayCare Medical Group
- Law Enforcement Agencies (Hillsborough, Pasco, Pinellas)
- Fire Rescue Departments (Hillsborough, Pasco, Pinellas)