Spring is one of the most beautiful times of the year when flowers are blooming, birds are chirping, and the summer sunshine is almost upon us. With all the excitement of spring being here, there’s also a terrible downside that comes with it: allergies. Each year more than 50 million Americans with seasonal nasal allergies expect and dreading-runny and congested noses, inflamed sinuses, relentless sneezing and other symptoms associated with springtime allergies.
This year Tampa was ranked as the 72nd most challenging place to live with spring allergies from a study performed by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. There is a plus side though, Tampa’s spring pollen count is down since last year in which we were ranked as the 65th most challenging place to live for allergy sufferers.
What are ways you can prevent an allergic reaction to pollen?
- It’s also important to check the pollen count so you and your children can be prepared for this allergy season.
- Limit your outdoor activities when pollen counts are high.
- Start taking allergy medicine before pollen season begins. This allows the medicine to prevent your body from releasing histamine and other chemicals that cause your symptoms.
- Bathe and shampoo before going to bed to remove pollen from your hair and skin.
- Wash bedding in hot, soapy water once a week.
- Wear sunglasses and a hat to keep pollen out of your eyes and off your hair.
- Change and wash clothes worn during outdoor activities.
- Dry your clothes in a dryer, not on an outdoor line.
Also, Dr. Purvi Parikh, a board-certified adult and pediatric allergist and immunologist and Clinical Instructor of Medicine and Pediatrics at New York University School of Medicine explains what allergy sufferers should do to make their symptoms not as harsh.
“Because spring is the time when most people with allergies experience their worst seasonal allergy symptoms, it’s important that allergy sufferers seek advice from a health care professional before the season hits full force” Dr. Purvi Parikh says. “Many people suffer miserably in the spring with seasonal nasal allergies, which can impact one’s ability to sleep and be productive in school or on the job.
Those who wish to receive allergy relief can take prescription medication and new combination therapies which include short and long term treatments.
If you plan on traveling in the next few months here are the top ten cities reported to be the most challenging cities including Jackson, MS; Memphis, TN; Syracuse, NY; Louisville, KY; McAllen, TX; Wichita, KS; Oklahoma City, OK; Providence, RI; Knoxville, TN; and Buffalo, NY. To view a complete list of cities, visit www.AllergyCapitals.com.
Read more about allergies:
Products for allergies: